August 6, 2014

Article of the Week

If you teach middle or high school ELA, I recommend you check out this site which has many great resources, but my favorite is the Article of the Week.



From the page:


To help build my students’ prior knowledge, I assign them an "Article of the Week" every Monday morning. By the end of the school year I want them to have read 35 to 40 articles about what is going on in the world. It is not enough to simply teach my students to recognize theme in a given novel; if my students are to become literate, they must broaden their reading experiences into real-world text.






I used to do this every Monday with my 7th graders and it was great for close reading, discussion, and debate.  I often followed it up with journal writing as well.  Many of my students told me they looked forward to this each week, and I thoroughly enjoyed moderating the informal debates that would spring up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment