October 6, 2016

Halloween STEM Challenge: Ghosts in the Graveyard

Halloween STEM Challenge: Ghosts in the Graveyard is an engaging, collaborative, hands-on activity in which students design a device to lift ghost out of the graveyard.

Kids have the worst time trying to concentrate on school the day of Halloween -- and it's even worse the day after! You'll need something extra engaging for them in order to keep their brains working at max capacity. Wouldn't you know it, I've got just the thing: Ghosts in the Graveyard! 


Premise:

Students build a device to lift ghosts out of the graveyard. This is essentially an exploration of pulleys.


Halloween Ban?

If Halloween activities are taboo or forbidden in your classroom, not to worry! Connect this challenge with pulleys and other simple machines. In fact, I made an alternate version called Grapes in the Vineyard that can be used any time of the year. If you're familiar with my work, you know how much I love alliteration. It was extremely difficult not to call it Grapes in the Grape-yard!  You can always find ways around a Halloween ban!


Where Can I Find Out More?

Want to know more about materials, how to increase or decrease difficulty for your grade level, and more? See the video below for a walk-through of this challenge:




Are There Others Like This?


You know me, I hate to stop with one seasonal challenge, so I never do! This is one of five Halloween challenges. Each Halloween STEM challenge has a corresponding video on my YouTube channel.

You'll also find the Halloween bundle briefly described in this post

All challenges are available individually and in discounted bundles in my TpT store, as well.













Check out some of these other great ideas!




Blogger:

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Kerry. . .I'm going to have to try this STEM challenge!! I have not taught about pulleys before & I'm sure the kids will be teaching me!! You are SO creative!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathie! Let me know how it goes! You know I'm always fascinated by what students come up with! :)

      Delete
  2. Kerry, Amazing and so inspirational! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete