November 23, 2016

Christmas/Winter STEM Challenges: Candy Cane Calamity

Christmas STEM Challenge: In Candy Cane Calamity, students design the lightest-weight shipping container that will protect candy canes from damage. Comes with modifications for grades 2-8.


Congratulations, teachers! You are almost to a beautiful, well-deserved break, but getting to that finish line can be its own impossible challenge! The kids' brains are toast, and (likely) so is yours!  But because you are a responsible adult, you don't want to throw in the towel too early and risk wasting instructional time, am I right?! The good news is, you don't have to!  STEM challenges will get you to the finish line in style, and it's fun for your kids that you can feel really good about!

Premise

In Candy Cane Calamity, students design the lightest-weight container possible they can "ship" two candy canes in without damaging the candy canes.


Where Can I Find Out More?

As you may already be aware, I've found creating video walk-throughs of my STEM challenges is a great way to explain the important details: materials, set-up, tips, modifications, extensions, and more! Check out the video below to learn more about Candy Cane Calamity:





Are There Other Challenges Like This?

Of course! I can't help myself! I have created 5 for Christmas/Winter. You can find the overview of each on this blog post. This is the first of the individual posts, and one will follow each week through Dec. 22, 2016. Please reach out with any questions and tag me in photos of your students' work on Facebook & Instagram if you want to give me a smile this holiday season!

You can find even more STEM challenges in my Mega Bundle, on this blog, and on my YouTube channel!





No comments:

Post a Comment