December 21, 2016

Christmas/Winter STEM Challenge: Frozen Fortress


WINTER - CHRISTMAS STEM Challenge: In Frozen Fortress, students build a fortress wall, aiming for the biggest - and most stable - wall possible! Comes with modifications for grades 2-8.




By now, I hope you're home enjoying a well-earned Winter Break! Maybe you're sipping on some hot chocolate, looking for some engaging ways to get your kids thinking deeply when you return to school. Keep this challenge in your back pocket! Wait for one of those tough days when you and your students need to shake the winter blues, and bust this out! It's a terrific change of pace your kids will love -- even if you choose not to go the messy route!

Premise

In Frozen Fortress, students build a fortress wall, aiming for the biggest - and most stable - wall possible! Size can be measured by # of marshmallows used, area, or volume. Stability will be tested through a "snowball" attack from an opposing team.


Where Can I Find Out More?

As you may already be aware, I've found creating video walk-throughs of my STEM challenges is the best way to explain the important details: materials, set-up, tips, modifications, extensions, and more! Check out the video below to learn more about Frozen Fortress:









Are There Other Challenges Like This?


Of course! I can't help myself! I have created 5 for Christmas/Winter. You can find the overview of each on this blog post. This is the fifth of the individual posts. Please reach out with any questions and tag me in photos of your students' work on Facebook & Instagram if you want to give me a smile this holiday season!

You can find even more STEM challenges in my Mega Bundle, on this blog, and on my YouTube channel!





No comments:

Post a Comment