January 12, 2017

Winter STEM Challenge: Frosted Forest

WINTER STEM Challenge: In Frosted Forest, students aim to build the "iciest" tree possible in their class's Frosted Forest!  This challenge is all about triangles and has a VERY wide range of difficulty options. Comes with modifications for grades 2-8.



Mid-January already? Time just flies by, doesn't it? I am happy to share another winter STEM challenge with you this week: Frosted Forest. This one is heavily weighted toward math, so I think of it as more of a STEM Challenge!

If it's not winter where you live, feel free to call this Triangle Tree. There's no need to wait for winter to try this challenge out!

Premise

In Frosted Forest, students aim to build the "iciest" tree possible in their class's Frosted Forest!  This challenge is all about triangles and has a VERY wide range of difficulty options. You can keep it very simple by just measuring sides and assigning points to icicles based on the longest side, or you can add layers of complexity to tailor this challenge to your students. I cover all the details in the video walk through, so read on!

Where Can I Find Out More?

As you may already be aware, I've found creating video walk-throughs of my STEM challenges is the best way to explain the important details: materials, set-up, tips, modifications, extensions, and more! Check out the video below to learn more about Frosted Forest:






Are There Other Challenges Like This?


Of course! For those who are familiar with my work, most of my challenges are available in bundles of 5. This will eventually be true for Frosted Forest, but it won't be ready this winter; I have three of the five challenges planned, and just enough time to complete two. Snow Scoop is already completed, and you can find it here.

What I do have ready is the Winter/Christmas Bundle you see to your right.You can find the overview of each on this blog post. I'll also be posting at least one more brand new winter challenge in the next couple of weeks. Snow Scoop is also available as part of the Mega Bundle you see below.


You can find even more STEM challenges in my Mega Bundle, on this blog, and on my YouTube channel!





No comments:

Post a Comment